Monday, July 27, 2009

I'm a non-runner runner



I've never been an athlete nor had any athletic ability whatsoever. But I have always loved to run. I'm not a great runner. I wouldn't even call myself a good runner. But again, regardless of said sad facts, I have yet to find any other form of exercise that gives me more pleasure. Seriously.

Last year, I ran my first half-marathon. I trained off and on for months beforehand. The day of the race, however, I went in far less ready than I wanted. I did finish though and it felt amazing. Pure satisfaction and sense of achievement - something I haven't experienced much in my life.

The race began in Bryce Canyon at around 7000 ft and descended practically the entire time down to 5000 ft. That said, I sort of feel like it wasn't a 'real' half, since it was downhill the whole way. Could I have finished if this wasn't the case?

SO. I'm trying it again - this time there will be some downhill but there will also be some ups - it's in San Francisco (Nike Women's Half Marathon - October 18).
Once again, my training has been off and on. I'm doing it with a handful of non-running runner friends, so it'll be nice not to tackle it alone. We have been running about 3 times a week for the last several months. This is a good start but now we are gearing up. I am so excited to do this - but nervous too. I know I can do it but it is definitely hard for me. A journey to say the least. Every mile is a challenge. But I really really really want to do this. I have not set a time goal - and probably won't as it is something that my friends and I have sort of just committed to doing together. But, if all goes well, I hope to start doing this more...and perhaps one day do a full marathon. That seems so far away....but that's what running is all about. Starting somewhere and getting there eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment